Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Words, Words, Everywhere! Nor Any Drop to Drink

16th Sunday after Pentecost
September 13, 2015
Proverbs 1:20-33; Psalm 19; James 3:1-12; Mark 8:27-38

            Upon arriving in Switzerland two weeks ago, my very first impression was that it was very green.  From the airplane window just before we landed, green was the only color I could see.  I commented on this to my seatmate, a Swiss-Italian, and he agreed, Switzerland is a very green country.  The decent amount of rainfall each year, plus the melting of all the snow in the Alps, makes the country look quite green from the air.  From the ground, what I noticed first was the quiet.  It was quiet walking through the airport, and not just because of jetlag on an overnight flight.  The machines were quieter.  Conversations were quieter.  There was no yelling, there was no loud talking on a cell phone.  In general, it was quiet.  Even the trains weren’t noisy.  I think the only loud thing the whole week was a drunk person outside our hotel one night.  It reminded me of an article I read a while back that said something to the effect of how American parents encourage and teach their children to speak more, and are much more talkative in comparison to other countries.  I know I talk so much to my kids that I often get funny looks when I’m out in public with one of them.  I talk them through what we’re doing, why we’re at this particular place, and what we’re going to next.  I think out loud a lot around them, so that they can hear my thought process and how I arrive at a decision.  And I did that even when they were six months old and were mostly only processing the sound of my voice. 
            What we read in the Scriptures this morning is the importance of words, and, trust me, it made it more difficult to write a sermon about words.  I think we can all agree that words matter, that the particular words we choose to use matter, because words can build up, or words can tear down.  A joke I read this week about the power of words was: “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will have such a lasting effect that I may have to go see a counselor for the rest of my life, so thanks for that.”[1]  James, in particular, talks about words and how while the tongue is relatively small compared to the rest of the body, it has great power.[2]  He compares it to how a small flame can set a whole forest on fire!  A little rudder can give direction to a big ship.  And so it is with the tongue.  The words we speak have a great effect on our listeners and on ourselves.  Words can bless and be positive and build up.  Or words can curse and cause division and drive people apart.  The words we choose matter.
            I learned this thoroughly in a summer school class I took thirteen years ago called “Language and the Professions.”  In college and grad school, I studied not just about teaching and children and teaching a language, but also about language and the role it plays.  This class was fantastic, it was one of my favorites in the program, although by the end of the summer, I was worn out from analyzing every single word choice on everything I saw.  We looked at billboards and magazines, at the words that are associated with different professions, even at ordinary everyday conversation.  It was mentally exhausting to always be thinking about the words you use and how they determine the impression you want to give to others and how they define you and give you direction, much like that small boat rudder.  It’s important to choose words wisely.
            Speaking of wisdom, we meet her, in person, in Proverbs this morning.  Wisdom cries out in the street, raises her voice in the public square, calls out at the busy street corners, and speaks at the city gates.  It sounds like Wisdom can be found almost everywhere, especially in places where people meet.  It sounds like it’s not that hard to find words of wisdom, when they appear to be just about everywhere.  The problem is in hearing them.  If wisdom has to shout and raise her voice, presumably it’s because there’s a lot of noise that would otherwise drown her out.  Wisdom must be loud in order for us to be able to hear her, and yet even when we hear her, we don’t always heed her.  We don’t always listen to the pearls of wisdom that we’re given.  Some people recognize wisdom when they hear it; others do not.  What we’re told in this passage this morning is that Wisdom is not going to call out forever.  There will come a time when we’ll seek wisdom and it’ll be too late.  We’ll be left to the consequences of our unwise decisions, trouble brought about by our own hands, because we didn’t want to listen to wisdom.  And God does not always spare us from the results of our poor choices.  So, the bottom line is to listen to Wisdom now, while she can be found.  Make wise choices.   Choose your words carefully.  “Whoever listens to wisdom will have security. They will be safe, [and have] no reason to be afraid.”[3]  Listen to the wise words that you hear, regardless of whether they’re what you want to hear, and act on them.
            Our psalm this morning also deals with speech and knowledge in a common place.  “The heavens are telling the glory of God, and the firmament proclaims God’s handiwork.  Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge.”[4]  I remember the first time I really paid attention to these verses and thinking, why isn’t it more obvious?  If the sky declares God’s glory, something everyone can see, then why aren’t more people aware of God’s glory?  If creation proclaims that it was created by God, then why don’t we all realize that?  “Creations speaks and its message is clear: that glory and honor belong to God alone.”[5]  I suppose it’s a bit like Wisdom shouting at the busy street corner.  It’s busy, there are lots of people there who surely must hear her, and it appears there are lots of people who ignore her, just as lots of people ignore creation and the sky declaring that it is God’s handiwork.  The wisdom is there, the knowledge is there, the words are there, right in front of us.  I guess that’s why Jesus says repeatedly, “Let anyone with ears to hear, listen!”[6]  Apparently we’re not very good at listening.  We’re not very good at paying attention.  If the skies declare it, all we have to do is go outside and look up. 
            Unfortunately, our Golden Age of Information is turning into our Golden Age of Anxiety.  There is so much information thrown at us, so many words that we read and hear every day, that it’s stressing us out because it’s hard to figure out which are the right words to listen to and pay attention to.  There’s more chaff to sift through to get to the wheat.  We talked a few weeks ago about how only Jesus has the words of life.  There is nowhere else we can hear these words; only Jesus has the wonderful words of eternal life.  And so he is the plumb line by which we measure all other words and determine which words are words of wisdom and which words are foolishness.  As James writes, we all make mistakes often, and no one can thoroughly tame their tongue.[7]  We all say things we regret, and it seems like, with today’s technology, more of our words are recorded for posterity than ever before.  If we’re paying attention, that only adds to our anxiety.  If we’re not and we speak without thinking, our mistakes are flung back in our faces, also fueling our anxiety. 
            So, take the time to think before you speak.  Choose your words carefully.  And be gentle with each other.  None of us can tame our tongue.  I err on the side of not saying enough, because I’m quiet by nature.  Others of us run off on the mouth and enjoy a good gab.  Taking the time to think before you speak goes hand in hand with taking time to think about what you’re hearing.  In so many conversations these days we’re not listening to understand, we’re listening to respond, and once we have our response back, we generally tune out the other person until they’re done talking because we’re focused on remembering what we want to say.  So many conversations go this way these days and I think it heightens the divisions between us.  If I’m listening in order to be able to respond to you, then I’m focused on what I think about what you’re saying.  If I’m listening in order to understand you, then I’m focused on what you think about what you’re saying.  Focusing on the other person is part of how we deny ourselves, like Jesus calls us to do in our Gospel.
            This is a very familiar passage, where Jesus says, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for my sake, and for the sake of gospel, will save it.  What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?”[8]  You know it’s important when all four Gospels record Jesus saying this.  What may be helpful is to make it less familiar.  The Message paraphrases this passage this way: “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?”[9]  It’s an interesting choice of words that Eugene Peterson picked.  “Self-help is no help at all.”  Self-help books and mantras are often full of words, words designed to help, words designed to build up, words designed to make you better, to save you.  And they are very wordy.  In contrast, “self-sacrifice is the way, [Jesus’] way, to saving your true self.”  I don’t know about you but when I think about self-sacrifice and words, what I think is not a lot of words, and instead more quietness, more listening, more humility and silence. 
            What I wanted to title this sermon was “Words, Words, Everywhere, Nor Any Drop to Drink,” but I wasn’t sure if the reference was too obscure.  (I told you I hesitate more on the side of caution and quiet.)  It’s a play off a line from the poem, “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner,” published in 1798 by the English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge.  The original verse says “Water, water, every where, Nor any drop to drink,” since the Ancient Mariner is at sea and surrounded by water, but none of it is water that he can drink.  In a similar way, we are surrounded by words today.  Words are everywhere, except perhaps in creation.  The heavens can tell the glory of God without using words.  Our language, however, is based on words.  So, as you go forth today, think about the words that you use, and think about the words that your conversation partner uses.  Listen to them, so that you can try to understand them, rather than argue with them.  While the tongue cannot be tamed, wouldn’t it be nice to live together in mutual understanding with each other?  Focused more on self-sacrifice than self-help.  Focused on saving our real selves rather than trying to get everything on our wish list.  Take time to think before you speak.  Take time to think about what you’re hearing.  Listen not to respond, but listen to understand.  Even the creation proclaims God’s handiwork, if we’re paying attention.  Thanks be to God.  Amen.




[2] James 3:5
[3] Proverbs 1:33
[4] Psalm 19:1-2
[5] Preaching God’s Transforming Justice, Year B, p. 397
[6] Luke 8:8; 14:35; among others
[7] James 3:2, 8
[8] Mark 8:34-36, NIV
[9] Ibid., MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment