Monday, February 10, 2020

My Call Story


5th Sunday after the Epiphany
February 9, 2020
Isaiah 58:1-12; Psalm 112; Matthew 5:13-20

            This is a week when I’m extra glad that I follow the lectionary because Isaiah 58 is exactly what I needed to spend time with this past week. On Tuesday I go before the Board of Ordained Ministry for an oral exam, the last big step in full ordination. And I have been extremely stressed about it. I’m trying not to be, but I can feel it in my body and in my eating habits. And so, to reread Isaiah 58, especially that middle section, has been extremely providential and this morning, in preparation for this exam, I’m going to share with you my full call story. As I’ve shared other times, my call to be a pastor began with my call to serve God in Nicaragua. Isaiah 58, especially verses 6-8, was my call passage for Nicaragua.
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.”
I “discovered” that passage in my early 20s, and it convicted me and it stayed with me. I was doing my master’s in education at the time and trying to figure out where I was going to teach when I finished. I applied to the Department of Defense to teach abroad. I applied to a school district out in Arizona where I had just visited a friend. I ended up back in North Carolina, teaching at an elementary school that was one of the feeder schools for the high school where I graduated. But I was still discerning: what does this mean? What is God calling me to? At the same time I was involved in a Disciple II Bible Study, first at the church where I was in grad school and then continued it at my home church in North Carolina. (Has anyone here done a Disciple Bible Study? I love them. They do require a commitment, but if y’all are ready, I’d love to lead one here, too.) In Disciple II, you spend the first half on Genesis and Exodus and the second half is Luke and Acts. Disciple involves daily reading with note-taking and for this study, it had been suggested to divide our notes into two sections: I read and God said; a summary of the passage we read and what we heard God saying through that passage. Well, we got to Acts and all of my “God said’s” were along the lines of “Heather, can you do this? Can you go where I send you, like Paul and Barnabas? Can you be full of truth and grace, like Stephen?” and so on. When I saw the pattern, I was like, all right God, what are you asking? Where am I supposed to go?
I started researching different mission agencies, Methodist, other denominations, and non-denominational. I was intrigued by Food for the Hungry because of three things: it offered health insurance (not all mission agencies do), it went to Latin America (and I was already proficient in Spanish), and they had a very clear mission and vision statement of why they do what they do. You hear me talk about wishy-washy mission statements or the phrase “we do good things because we’re supposed to”? That’s because that’s the mantra of too many mission agencies. We don’t do good things because we’re supposed to. We do good things because Jesus calls us to do them and Jesus calls us to specific good things. Food for the Hungry has a week-long orientation program before you even apply to go to the field. It’s time for them to get to know you and you to get to know them. That week was the first time I ever shared the pull that Isaiah 58 had on my heart. Others there had their passages. Every pastor you meet will have a call passage. Isaiah 58 is mine.
Food for the Hungry and I determined we were a good fit for each other and they offered me three teaching positions: one in Peru, one in Guatemala, and one in Nicaragua. Nicaragua was the only one where I’d be teaching children, and y’all know I have a heart for children. I was an elementary school teacher. I had to live off support and you had to have a certain percentage raised and committed before you were allowed to start. I don’t remember the numbers anymore, but you had a one-time set-up budget for initial costs, like your plane flight there, buying a bed, those kinds of set-up costs. I think you had to have at least 75% of that raised before you could even buy your plane ticket. Then there was your monthly budget, rent, food, those kinds of things, including a tithe built in, 10% for you to give to whatever church you became part of or how you saw fit to give away. That was covered through pledges; people pledged to give so much each month for the three years I was to serve there. I raised funds and prayer partners quicker than anyone else who was at my orientation week with me. It was a God thing. I finished my second school year in North Carolina and that summer went to Phase Two of orientation, getting ready to actually serve on the ground. In September I moved to Nicaragua.
I fell in love, with the country, with the people, with the food, with the culture. I thought I was going to stay longer than my three-year contract. I thought I might never move back to the U.S. My mom came down to visit and said she’d never seen me so happy in my entire life. In Nicaragua, Food for the Hungry has combined with about 10 other mission agencies plus many locals to form the Nehemiah Center. That fall I joined their education component, who was in the middle of visiting and evaluating Christian schools on the western side of the country (also where most of the population lives). Unlike ours, their school year follows the calendar year and so when the new school year started in January, I started teaching at two of those Christian schools that I had already visited, plus one day a week going out to the small rural community of Santa Maria, who had been devastated by Hurricane Mitch. I lived with a host family. I had a great teammate who lived with relatives of my host family. There were two other American families nearby who were serving with other mission agencies. Life was very good. I was actively living out Isaiah 58.
And then I got sick. I had dengue fever the first Christmas I was there and gotten over it. And I’d had a couple joints, like my right pointer finger, randomly swell up. But I’d ignored them and moved on. Then it was my knees, which I couldn’t ignore so easily, because it hurt to walk. Then it was all the joints acting up all at the same time. I went to the doctor I’d seen when I had dengue, and his diagnosis was the same as my best friend’s, who was in med school at the time: rheumatoid arthritis. He put me on bedrest for a week, acknowledging how hard it was for me to stay still like that. And I took it as a personal retreat time to figure out what God had to say to me when I was on my butt that I couldn’t hear God say to me when I was more active. On the first day of bedrest I had emails from two Methodist pastors, both of whom had separately told me when I was fund-raising that when I returned from Nicaragua I’d be ready for seminary. Their emails that day both said, don’t forget. And so I spent that week in prayer, journaling, reading my bible, talking with close friends, trying to discern what God was saying and what was next. Just because I had RA didn’t mean I had to leave Nicaragua. But the Word that came was that God was doing a new thing. Three years had never felt like the right number, not because it was supposed to be higher, but because it was going to be lower. God had other plans. 
Lee and me with my host family, the last time I was in Nicaragua
 Y’all know most of the rest of the story. I came back. I went to seminary. I re-met Lee and this time, we fell in love and got married. I served two churches in North Carolina before God did another new thing and brought us up here to Maryland. In the move, the Baltimore-Washington Conference had me start the ordination process over again from the beginning. When I was commissioned three years ago was the earliest I was eligible for provisional ordination. This year, ten years after finishing seminary, 13 years after leaving Nicaragua, is the first time I am eligible to go forward for full ordination. It has been a long journey. It has been a different journey than any of my colleagues. It all started with Isaiah 58.
“Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for people to humble themselves? …Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the Lord? Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?... If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.”
            “Instead of the traditional fast days, ‘the fast that I choose,’ says God, is a whole new way of life.” Fasting is no longer something you do for one day every now and then. “Instead, fasting is a new set of relationships within ongoing life. The fasting acceptable to God is a daily fast from domination, blaming others, evil speech, self-satisfaction, entitlement and blindness to one's privilege. The fast that God seeks calls for vigilance for justice and generosity day in and day out.”[1] It’s a different way of life. It’s a different way of being in the world. And you don’t have to leave home and family and go to another country to do it. It ties in with the kindness we talked about last week, because essentially God is saying fast from unkindness.
            Let your light shine. Don’t worry about rejection. Take courage. Jesus said, “You are the light of the world… let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Let your light shine. In our psalm we read that those who have a right relationship with the Lord “rise in the darkness as a light for the upright.” You are the light of the world. Let your light rise up. Let it shine. Let it break forth, to go back to Isaiah 58.
            Actually, it’s not a choice in Isaiah 58; it’s a promise. “If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.” There are a few more promises, too, if you keep reading. In this part of Isaiah, the people have returned after the exile back to Jerusalem. They have to rebuild the city and their community. God reminds them their moral choices have consequences and that God expects them to be both restored and restorative people. When you let God into your life, when you partner with God in God’s fast, then your light will break forth and your light shall rise in the darkness. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment