Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Forgiveness

16th Sunday after Pentecost
September 24, 2017
Matthew 18:21-35

            The summer that I was 19 I bought my first car. It was a 1996 Honda Civic, silver, four-door, and stick shift. I drove it all summer long. A couple weeks before the fall semester started, we went to the beach for a week, in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina. The same week some relatives were at the beach in Garden City, South Carolina, just south of Myrtle Beach. My sisters and I wanted to spend time with them, too, so we planned to spend the first part of the week in Atlantic Beach and drive the four hours on Thursday down to Garden City. My car never made it to Garden City. Instead, driving through Myrtle Beach, another driver had turned left out of a shopping center and had paused in the median, waiting for traffic the other direction to clear. Except, he wasn’t completely in the median; he was partly in the median and partly in my lane. The median to my left was a ditch; the two lanes to my right were full of cars, so… I hit him head on. I left a good 12 feet of skid marks, although I don’t remember braking. I don’t remember the accident itself at all. What I know is that God had guardian angels all around my sisters and me. The first person on the scene was a good Samaritan, she told me her credentials, doctor or nurse or something, and she helped us until the police and paramedics arrived. My sisters got ambulance rides to the hospital. My first car was totaled. The police and insurance companies ruled that the other drive was completely at fault, and his insurance paid for everything: the value of my car, all of our medical bills, and additional money to my sisters for grief and suffering because they both had scars on their faces from their injuries. The police officer at the scene told me that he had seen people die in accidents that bad. And my Grandma, a long-time pastor’s wife, told me that the accident was now part of my story, part of my witness of what God has done in my life. There were guardian angels surrounding us that day, because we should have been hurt a lot worse than we were, if not killed. We shouldn’t have walked away from that accident. But God was taking care of us and protecting us. Grandma told me that this was now part of my witness of what God has done in my life and that I needed to share it. So, I do, from time to time.
            However, there’s one part of that story that I’ve never told, and that is about forgiving that other driver. Before we left the beach to come home, I went out one evening to walk on the beach by myself. And, this may sound a little crazy, but I felt like God gave me three curses to use on this other driver, this guy who had totaled my first car, who had caused such harm to my sisters and me, who had taken away a level of my innocence, since I’d never even been in a car accident before, much less one that bad. I was mad at this guy. And that night, at the beach, I cursed him, twice. This may not sound like much to you, but even before becoming a pastor, I never cursed. That’s just who I was. So, I used two curses that night, and saved one for later. Because human nature is like that, right? We like to hold on to grudges, we like to have vengeance. I held on to one. In college I was part of the Wesley Foundation, which is the United Methodist campus ministry. It’s part of what our apportionment money helps to fund. And at that point in time, we had a monthly worship service on campus. I don’t remember the details, whether it was the scripture or the music or something the campus minister said, or maybe a combination, or just simply God moving in my heart. But one night, at that monthly worship service, I broke down and I gave back to God that curse. I don’t know what caused it, if I’d been thinking about it, if I’d been looking for a good reason to use it, or a good reason to hold onto it, but God moved, and I released that last curse, without using it. I forgave the guy. And I’ve never shared that part of the story. I’ve always talked about God keeping us safe in the accident that should have seriously hurt us. I’ve talked about the guardian angels and the good Samaritan person at the scene. I’ve never talked about forgiving the other driver. Probably because the idea of God giving me three curses sounds a little crazy. But that’s the story of how I forgave the other driver who totaled my first car. I gave it back to God. I released it, and let it go.
            Our Gospel lesson today is one about forgiveness. Jesus and the disciples are still talking about life in community, about church life. Peter asks Jesus, “How often do I have to forgive someone who sins against me?” Seven is a holy number, the number of completion, so perhaps we are to practice perfect forgiveness. Yet Jesus says, “Not seven, but seventy-seven or seventy times seven times.” “Your forgiveness must be beyond perfect; it must be beyond counting.”[1] This is forgiveness without limits, infinite forgiveness, which is, after all, how God forgives us. Three things about forgiveness this morning:
First, forgiveness is not conditional upon the other person apologizing first. I never met the other driver in Myrtle Beach. We had zero communication. We didn’t talk at the scene of the accident, and we certainly didn’t talk after that. I only ever found out his name because it was on one of the insurance documents. He didn’t apologize to me. We tend to think that the other person should say or do something first before we have to forgive them. We tend to think that we’re owed something when we’ve been wronged, and only once we’ve received that reparation, then we can forgive the wrong. But that’s not how it has to work. And, considering you will never get apologies for some things, if that’s what you’re waiting for, then you’ll never forgive them. That, then, in turn, hurts you the most. When we hold on to past hurts and resentments, our emotional and physical health are deeply affected.[2] And we are hurt the most by our unwillingness to forgive.
Presbyterian minister and author, Marjorie Thompson, wrote, “To forgive is to make a conscious choice to release the person who has wounded us from the sentence of our judgment, however justified that judgment may be… Forgiveness means the power of the original wound’s power to hold us trapped is broken.”[3] Don’t let whoever wronged you control your life. Don’t let them live in your head and make you bitter and angry. Get them out of your emotional life. You’re hurting yourself by holding on to that resentment. Don’t wait for an apology. It’s not necessary. You don’t need one in order to forgive. Forgive them now and free yourself from that hurt.
Second, forgive does not always mean forget. In healthy relationships, yes. 1 Corinthians 13 does say that love keeps no record of wrongs. However, in unhealthy relationships, unstable relationships, abusive relationships, no. Shake the dust off your feet and move on. To forgive someone does not mean that you have to have a relationship with them. I said last week that there are some folks from whom we have to keep your distance in order to keep our mental and emotional health. People change, yes. As Christians, we believe in redemption and second chances. However, it’s not worth putting yourself at risk. Let the person be redeemed, reformed, changed and let them do it with new people in their life. It doesn’t have to be you. Let it go. It was 12 years before I returned to Myrtle Beach. Enough time had passed that when a friend invited me to the beach with her, I didn’t even make the connection with the accident until I was back on US-17 in Myrtle Beach. It’s okay to forgive and not forget.
Finally, “forgiveness means to release, to let go… [It’s] not denying our hurt,” or minimizing it or glossing over it. Something happened that shouldn’t have happened. We were hurt. Forgiveness requires us to “acknowledge the negative impact of another person’s actions or attitudes in our lives.”[4] We acknowledge it, scream about it, write about it, vent about it. And then we release it, so that it no longer has control over us. So that we do not begin to think that it defines us. One of my favorite parts of the Disney movie Moana is when Moana approaches the monster Te Ka with the heart that was stolen from her. 
Moana sings to her, “I have crossed the horizon to find you. I know your name. They have stolen the heart from inside you. But this does not define you. This is not who you are. You know who you are.” This evil thing that was done to you is not who you are. Te Ka calms down, Moana puts her heart back, and the lava rock of the monster falls away to reveal Te Fiti, the missing goddess. 
Let go of the hurt. Let go of the pain. It does not define you. It is not who you are. Whether or not you receive an apology, whether or not you forget as you move on, move on. Don’t let that limit you today. Forgiveness is important for your health and well-being. Even more, Jesus tells us that we are to forgive because we have been forgiven. Our forgiving others is in response to our receiving God’s forgiveness. In the parable Jesus told in response to Peter’s question about forgiveness, the king says, “Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had mercy on you?”[5] In the Lord’s prayer we pray, “Forgive us our sins, just as we forgive those who sin against us.”[6] Forgiveness should cause more forgiveness. Those who have received forgiveness are to forgive others. And each one of us here has been forgiven. You have already been forgiven. You may or may not have accepted that, but you have already been forgiven.  Go and do likewise. Return to God the curses you’re holding onto, the grudges you’ve been nursing, your list of all the times you’ve been slighted. It’s time. Forgive yourself, forgive God, forgive your neighbor, forgive reality for being what it is. Forgive. I don’t do many altar calls, but this is one I feel called to do this morning. If no one comes, that’s fine. However, if there is someone on your mind this morning whom you have not forgiven, now is the time to do it. If you need help doing it, please come forward and I’ll come pray with you. Or raise your hand, and I’ll come to your pew. Let us pray…




[1] Feasting on the Word, Year A, Volume 4, p. 69
[2] Ibid.
[3] Ibid., p. 70, 72
[4] Feasting on the Word, Year A, Volume 4, p. 70
[5] Matthew 18:33
[6] Matthew 6:12

No comments:

Post a Comment