Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Better than the Little Blue Pill

5th Sunday after Epiphany
February 8, 2015
Isaiah 40:21-31; Mark 1:29-39

            A couple years ago the lectionary text was the one where Naaman, the commander, has leprosy and he goes to Elisha to be healed.  Well, the Sunday I preached on that, I had my first case of poison ivy.  Apparently there are times at which I will go to great lengths to identify with the Scripture lesson, and today is again one of those times.  I had planned this great, energizing sermon about how God will renew the strength for those who are weary, as Isaiah says, “those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.”  However, I’ve got to tell you, this morning, I am tired.  I have slept most of the past two days.  The day I had set aside for sermon writing: I slept.  I do not have energy, I am not among those who have been given fresh strength.  Instead, I am among those who are tired and weary and this is not going to be a long sermon. 
            You may be wondering about the title.  Well, it comes from a Super Bowl commercial.  I’ll confess, I’m one of those who watch the Super Bowl for the commercials.  When a company pays $4.5 million for a 30 second ad, you know it’s going to be their best stuff.  Some of the best commercials are aired for the first time during the Super Bowl.  Last Sunday, one of my favorite commercials was also deemed the best Super Bowl commercial for this year.[1]  It appealed across the board to men and women, young and old, just about everyone found it funny.  And it was unusual because car ads don’t usually do that well.  You may remember the ad that begins in the Italian villa with the man about to pop a little blue pill, but he misses his mouth and it flies out the window, where it bounces around on rooftops,  laundry, a church bell, and lamp post, skims a pond and some flowers, until it lands in the open gas tank of a car.[2]  The way the news media described it was that the car was then “energized.”  I think Fiat’s $9 million investment in this 60-second ad was money well spent.  It had me laughing out loud at the end of it! 
            And perhaps this wasn’t the best connection to make, but I connected it with our Isaiah reading this morning.  First, we have God who never gets tired or weary.  Then it’s acknowledged that even youth will become tired and weary and stumble.  But, then we have the last verse of our Isaiah passage, and it’s a great one – “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength; they will fly up on wings like eagles; they will run and not be tired; they will walk and not be weary.” 
            I think we as a church have been tired and weary, or maybe even we still are tired and weary.  The good news is that if, in our fatigue, we are also hoping in the Lord, or other translations say waiting for the Lord or trusting in the Lord, if we are hoping and waiting and trusting in the Lord, then we shall regain our strength.  If we’re tired and weary to the point of exhaustion and giving up, then it’s over and we may as well go home.  But if we still have hope, if we still trust that God isn’t done with us yet, if we wait for the Lord, then we will become re-energized.  We will gain new strength.  We will be healed and empowered to serve.  That is, after all, what happened to Simon Peter’s mother-in-law in our Gospel story this morning.  After Jesus healed her, she served Jesus and the disciples out of gratitude for her healing.  She waited and trusted and hoped, and she was given new strength.  Just like the Fiat.  Only God is better than any old little blue pill.  If we are waiting and trusting and hoping in the Lord, then he will not let us down.  He will renew our strength and we will fly up on wings like eagles, we will run and not be tired, we will walk and not be weary, we will talk and not grow hoarse.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment