Thursday, July 3, 2014

Moving

21 years ago this month I moved from MD to NC with my parents and sisters.  This week I moved back, with a husband, a daughter, a dog, and a son "to be named later."  I haven't always lived in NC these 21 years, but I kept my residency here.  As a young adult, moving and traveling, it was just easier.

While MD isn't really "the North," it is to Southerners, because it's not "the South."  Here's what I've learned during 21 years of residency in "the South":

1. I LOVE sweet tea and will desperately miss it.  However, not drinking those calories might make it easier to lose weight post-pregnancy??

2. Air conditioning and ceiling fans are a must.  Period.  And I'm not just saying that because I'm pregnant.

3. I've learned to do it, but it still feels weird to park on the grass.  This is the overflow parking at this year's NC Annual Conference.



4. Southern hospitality is real.  My first experience with it was fake.  I moved to NC just before starting high school, and it was ok to talk to my classmates at church, but they ignored me in the hallway at school.  People acted glad to see you, but weren't really.  They asked "How are you?," but it's a greeting, not a real question.  In contrast, when Orange UMC sent a packing party last weekend, 8 people came, loaded down with sweet tea, bottled water, lemonade, banana bread, coconut pie, and pimento cheese.

5. I quickly learned 21 years ago that you have to have black-and-white opinions about Duke, UNC, and NC State, and I was glad I was already a Duke fan.  I was also glad to marry a State grad, because then I could wear red again!  And the past 3 years at Orange (located in Chapel Hill), I learned that light blue (a.k.a., Carolina blue), being a cool color, creates a nice, calm, peaceful atmosphere in a sanctuary.

6.  Finally, although I resisted for years and years, I finally learned to be ok with saying "yes, ma'am," "no sir," and "y'all."  Sometimes it even comes out naturally.

I know I will seem Southern to MD, but native Southerners know I've just been a transplant all these years.


No comments:

Post a Comment