Monday, July 27, 2020

Getting Unstuck with Dr. Seuss: Fear


Dr. Seuss Sermon Series
July 26, 2020
Matthew 26:36-39
“What Was I Scared Of?: Fear and the Christian Life

            This Dr. Seuss story always reminds me of an encounter I had almost 20 years ago when I lived in Philadelphia. I lived at 36th Street and during the summer that I was there started taking a two-mile walk in the evening down Walnut Street to 23rd Street and looping back over to Chestnut Street to come back. One time, as I was coming along 23rd Street, this guy came out of a building and turned right in front of me. At that time in my life, I was a notoriously fast walker. I think it was a safety mechanism: I wasn’t going to let fear keep me from walking in the city by myself, but I was going to move and stay alert and stay safe. I also don’t like people walking right in front of me, so when this guy came out right in front of me, I started walking faster. I caught up to him at the next intersection and as we both stepped off the curb at the same time, he turned to me and said, (a cleaned-up version), “Shoot, you walk faster than me. Both of us scared of each other and so we’re trying to walk our butts off. Have a good one, man.” I smiled and laughed and we went our separate ways. This is almost the same thing as what happened in the story “What Was I Scared Of?”, except for the narrator, it happens multiple times, and neither the narrator nor the Green Pants ever talk to each other until the very end. Instead, they stay in fear of each other through multiple encounters.
            Fear is one of our basic human emotions. It has served us well over the centuries, protecting us from harm and keeping us safe. At the same time, though, it can also be a hindrance. When you circle the wagons to keep safe, like the 19th century settlers did when traveling out west, it protected everyone in the group against an outside danger. However, at some point, they had to un-circle the wagons in order to continue their journey westward. Sometimes, though, we circle our wagons and we keep them circled. It protects us, but it also means we’re stuck in that one place. We can’t move on until we un-circle. Fear protects us and it limits our potential and our capabilities until we’re willing to overcome it. The problem is that we also feel vulnerable when we feel afraid and that can make it hard to look past our fear and move on.
            There are many, many Scriptures verses that address fear. “Do not be afraid” is a common refrain throughout the Bible, spoken by God and by angels. At the beginning of the month, knowing that I was going to preaching on fear in a few weeks, I started paying attention to when fear came up in my daily devotional readings. And you know what? It started popping up all over the place when I was looking for it. I found verses about asking God for the strength to face fears, about God loosing the bonds of fears, being delivered from fear, prayers asking for God to transform fear.
One of the places we find that prayer is in the passage we read this morning from Matthew. This is Thursday night of Holy Week. It’s after the Last Supper and after Jesus has told Peter that he’s going to deny him three times. Jesus goes to Gethsemane to pray and asks Peter, James, and John to come with him. It’s late; they’ve had a big meal. Peter, James, and John fall asleep, causing Jesus to feel even more alone. He knows what’s coming, what’s imminent. There are a variety of adjectives used to describe how he’s feeling, depending on which translation you read. He’s feeling sorrowful, troubled, overwhelmed, distressed, depressed, heavy, anxious, grieved, anguished, sad, despairing, agitated, upset, and crushed. Those adjectives all fall into two basic categories of emotions: sadness and fear. Jesus is feeling sad and he’s feeling fear, thinking about what’s about to happen: betrayal, crucifixion, and death. Being fully God, he knows that’s not the end of the story. Resurrection will come in three days. Being fully human, he’d rather skip straight to it and not go through the cross. Jesus prays, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup of suffering be taken from me. Yet not what I want, but what you want.” Jesus faces his fears head on. He does not run away from Gethsemane or go hide. Jesus does not let his fears keep him from pressing on and following God’s will.
            How often, though, do we let our fears keep us back, let our fears keep us with the wagons circled, unwilling to press on? How often do we pray for what we want and not add that what God wants is more important? “Thy will be done,” not mine. Sometimes our fear keeps us from effective Christian ministry. We’re afraid to speak up, lest we be ridiculed. We’re afraid to help out, lest we be rejected. We’re afraid to give, lest we not have enough. During the pandemic, our giving to the church has gone down by 20%. Thankfully, our expenses have also gone down by 20%. You know what’s gone up? Our church giving to other charities and ministries, like food banks and shelters. Our outreach team has stayed busy figuring out how we can help during this time and there has been enough. If our offering were to increase, we would increase how much we give away. Helping others is important and we don’t want to be afraid to help. “We cannot fulfill our calling if we are paralyzed into inactivity by a fear of getting hurt, or making mistakes, or getting involved in messy or complicated situations. That is the path of fear, not the path of faith.”[1]
            There’s a saying you may have heard: “Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered. There was no one there.” I would say that’s not entirely accurate. Faith does not make fear go away. Faith gives us “the disciplines, confidence, and courage to move forward in spite of our fears.”[2] It might be better to say: Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered and, with a degree of stubbornness from the Zax, said, I’m going to do this, anyway. I’m not going to let fear stop me. That was Jesus there on Gethsemane, who, shortly after that prayer, was betrayed by Judas with a kiss and arrested.
            The only way to overcome your fears is to face them. Name them. Talk about them. If you’re not sure who will listen, call me. Let’s talk out loud about what we’re afraid of. Let’s share advice from lessons learned about previous facings of fears. Let’s transform them and pray that prayer, “Let my fears be cast out; let them be transformed. Let me speak only truth, that I might live with integrity.”[3] Psalm 5:9 says “Not a word from their mouth can be trusted,” and it reminds me of my favorite line from the movie Frozen II. Elsa learns about the history between her kingdom and the people of Northuldra. She hears the memory of her grandfather, King Runeard when he said, “The Northuldra follow magic, which means we can never trust them…Magic makes people feel too powerful, too entitled. It makes them think they can defy the will of a king.” Elsa responds, “That is not what magic does. That's just your fear. Fear is what can't be trusted.” Fear is a feeling and feelings just are. Another line from that movie is when Sven says, “You feel what you feel and your feelings are real.” It’s all about what you do with those feelings and how you act on them.
            We live during an extra fearful time because of COVID-19. The pandemic has heightened our sense of fear and people are responding in a variety of ways. Take some time this week to name your fears, especially about the coronavirus, and examine how you’re handling that fear. Is it sucking life out of you? Or are you managing it in healthy, life-giving ways? I saw a meme last week that said, “Fear does not stop death. It stops life. Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles. It takes away today’s peace.” Another way to put it would be to quote Franklin Delano Roosevelt, “The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.” In “What Was I Scared Of?” the narrator tries denying that he’s afraid, he tries lying about it, he tries the circled wagon approach where he stops going his favorite places and doing his favorite things. But once he finally came face to face with those Green Pants, they got to meet each other and get to know each other and found out that they really had a lot in common and they could be friends.
            This last prayer is a paraphrase of Psalm 140, “Deliver me, O Giver of Breath and Life, from the fears that beset me. Help me confront the inner shadows that hold me in bondage… that distract me from all I yearn to be, and hinder the awakening of hidden gifts that I long to share with others. For I desire to be a channel of peace; to reflect the beauty of Creation! O, that I might show your love to all whom I meet, and mirror your mercy and justice! Guide me, O Beloved, that I may become spiritually mature; Love me into new life!”[4] Amen.


[1] “The Gospel According to Dr. Seuss” by James W. Kemp, p. 19
[2] Ibid., p. 17
[3] From Psalm 31 in “Psalms for Praying” by Nan C. Merrill
[4] Psalm 140, Ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment