Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Shine Light on Discipleship, Part I


2nd Sunday after the Epiphany
January 19, 2020
Isaiah 49:1-7; Psalm 40; John 1:29-42

            The Montgomery bus boycott started December 5, 1955 after not just Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man, but also Claudette Colvin earlier that same year. Martin Luther King, Jr. was chosen to head the boycott, for a variety of reasons. Everyone thought the boycott would only go on for a few days, instead of the full year it actually lasted. Not quite two months in, by late January 1956, Dr. King was ready to give up. He had received numerous death threats, not just to him but to his family. In fact, a couple days later, his house was bombed. After a late night strategy session, Dr. King arrived home. His family was in bed. The phone rang with another chilling message, “Leave Montgomery immediately if you have no wish to die.” Dr. King hung up the phone, walked to the kitchen, put on a pot of coffee, and sank down in a chair at his kitchen table. He was exhausted and his courage was all but gone. He prayed out loud to God and said, in his own words, “‘I am here taking a stand for what I believe is right. But now I am afraid. The people are looking to me for leadership, and if I stand before them without strength and courage, they too will falter. I am at the end of my powers. I have nothing left. I've come to the point where I can't face it alone.’ At that moment, I experienced the presence of the Divine as I had never experienced God before. It seemed as though I could hear the quiet assurance of an inner voice saying: ‘Stand up for justice, stand up for truth; and God will be at your side forever.’ Almost at once my fears began to go. My uncertainty disappeared. I was ready to face anything.”[1]
            There are times when we’re all ready to give up. There are times when we’re just plain tired, times when we’re not sure we have the strength to keep going. There are times when things don’t go well, despite our best efforts. It’s like this past week in my house. We all always get the flu shot every year, and we haven’t had the flu since the H1N1 virus of 2009. But this year, three of us caught the flu, anyway, although thankfully we had much milder cases than they would have been without the flu shot. Whether life and death or a long uphill battle against injustice or simply a matter of health, we all have times when our best isn’t enough. There are times when we’re ready to say with Isaiah, “I have labored in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing at all.” I wasted my time, energy, and money. It didn’t work out how it was supposed to or how I really hoped it would. Why did I bother?
            While dealing with disappointment is a good life skill, look at what both Isaiah and the psalmist did with their disappointment and the mess they found themselves in: They both turned to the Lord. Our psalm this morning began, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire.” When life isn’t turning out how we’d planned, when we do everything right and things still go wrong, following the example of Isaiah and the psalmist and countless others, we are to cry out to the Lord, who hears us and responds. When things go wrong, do you still remember God then? Or do you start cussing, or blaming yourself, or blaming others, or giving up? How do you respond when you find yourself, for whatever reason, down in the miry bog and desolate pit? Personally, I tend to blame myself. What could I have done better? Is there something else I should have said? Yet with the flu this past week, the answer is nothing. I did everything right, and I kept my children from being sicker than they otherwise would have been. Sickness is part of life. You have to figure out how to deal with it because it’s going to happen, no matter how much hand sanitizer you use.
            It helps to remember who you are and whose you are, as we talked about last week. Isaiah was quite clear about it. He wrote, “Before I was born the Lord called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name… He said to me, ‘You are my servant…, in whom I will display my splendor.’ But I said, ‘I have labored in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing at all. Nevertheless, I’ll let God have the last word. I’ll let him pronounce his verdict.’ This is the same as the psalmist waiting patiently for the Lord. I feel like I have nothing to show for my work and my efforts were in vain, yet I’ll wait and see what God says. And what does the Lord say? “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back the strays of Israel. I will also make you a light for the nations, so that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.” Things seem to be a mess and yet the Lord now makes us a light for others, that others might see God’s light through us. We talked two weeks ago on Epiphany about needing more light. One of the places the more light comes from is from each other as we share God’s love and God’s light with each other.
            The psalmist says the Lord “put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.” Remember, this isn’t fear the Lord as in be afraid of the Lord, this is fear the Lord as in be in awe and reverence of and amazed by the Lord. The Lord gives us a new song which others will hear, and through hearing our new song, they are drawn to the Lord themselves.
This is what happens in our Gospel reading this morning, although without the music. We have John the Baptist who witnesses to Jesus by simply pointing him out and saying, “Look, the Lamb of God!” When John’s two disciples who were with him heard John say that, they immediately left John and started following Jesus! Now, in that case, John did everything right. He witnessed to Jesus and told others about him. And what happened? He lost his followers. His disciples defected and became Jesus’ disciples. While that was a good thing, because John was faithful with the mission given to him to point the way to Jesus, it had to also feel a bit weird at the end, when he’s left by himself.
The other person who witnesses to Jesus in our Gospel lesson is Andrew. Andrew was one of those two people who were John’s disciples and then became one of Jesus’ disciples. He’s one of the twelve disciples, in fact. However, the only other thing we know about Andrew is this action he takes here, where after defecting to follow Jesus, the first thing he does is go and find his brother and tell his brother about Jesus. Andrew brought his brother to Jesus and the brother became one of the twelve disciples, too. Do you know who that brother was? Peter. As in the one involved in all those conversations with Jesus. As in the one to whom Jesus hands the keys to the kingdom. The one who leads the early church and becomes the first Pope. The one who is martyred by being crucified upside down because he didn’t think he was worthy to die in the same way as Jesus. The one who denies Jesus three times before Jesus’ death and then is reinstated by Jesus after the resurrection. There is so much we know about Peter. Do you think Andrew ever resented Peter and wished he hadn’t brought Peter to Jesus? There could have been some sibling rivalry there and jealousy. Or perhaps Andrew was happy for his brother simply for the fact that he knew Jesus and he didn’t worry about comparing their faith journeys. I imagine Andrew was proud of who his brother became and didn’t try to take ownership of Peter’s faith by pointing out that if not for him, Peter wouldn’t even know Jesus. Andrew seems like a quiet, mature, behind-the-scenes type. And yet he knows the truth of what we’ll sing in our last hymn, “once you’ve experienced God’s love, you want to pass it on.”[2]
            Oftentimes, our experience of God’s love is part of our invitation to others to come and meet Jesus. It’s our testimony of how when we were bogged down in the miry pit, God heard our cry, drew us up, and set our feet upon a rock, making our steps secure. There’s a saying that there’s no testimony without a test. Literally, “T-E-S-T” are the first four letters of testimony. And our witness, our testimony, is the story of how we know God’s love, of the tests God has brought us through, safe thus far, and the assurance that God will lead us home. Here’s the thing about the times when life doesn’t go according to plan: it’s an opportunity for you to trust God and let God use it for good. Let God see you through it, and then be sure to tell others what God has done for you. That’s how you become a light to the nations. And you know light shines brighter through broken glass than it does through one solid pane of glass. Let God use your suffering, let God transform the mess you find yourself in. It’s when we don’t think we have any more to give and when we trust and rely on God that we find strength unending and we’re reminded that our work for God is not in vain. Dr. King stayed faithful to God and to the call God placed on his life. He didn’t give up. Be encouraged this morning to not give up, either. Stay faithful. And let God’s light shine through you.


No comments:

Post a Comment