Monday, July 22, 2019

Summer and Winter: A Reflection

"Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love."

Verse 2 of "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" by Thomas Chisholm

I prefer summer. I want sunshine and warm weather. I like sundresses and bare feet. Heat doesn't bother me. I don't like being cold.

Now that it is summer, my 4 (almost 5!) year old son has announced that he likes winter better. He even tried to wear sweat pants and long sleeves until I took them all out of his dresser last week. Know why he wants winter? "Because then you could play winter hockey!" Groan. The real ironic thing is that I'm pretty sure last winter he said he couldn't wait for summer, and I had to hide all his shorts so he didn't wear them in 30 degree weather. The cold does not bother him. Oh, to be a 4 year old boy, who's only experienced 5 winters and 5 summers, all of them in Maryland.

Yet Thomas Chisholm wrote that summer and winter join in witness to God's faithfulness, mercy, and love. As tied and connected as I am now to this land, to creation, to the earth; I've lived through 2 winters and am on my 3rd summer here in Lisbon. Summer is different when you witness the spring before it - planting, watering, tilling - when you witness the corn grow from what appears to be an empty field to 6 feet high. And what appears to be an empty, dormant field covered in snow during the winter then becomes covered in crops spring, summer, and fall. It's different to witness all that, to live through it, to see the changes in the land, to see the farmers at work through each season.

I've never taken as many pictures of the sky as I have since moving to Woodbine, MD. Here is one for each season:

Summer
Winter
Spring
Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment