Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A New Thing in the Wilderness: A Reflection

A Reflection on Isaiah 43:16-21

I start off wanting to draw a picture of the sea and the path through the mighty waters, with the chariots and horses and army. But then God says, "No. They're extinguished, snuffed out, never to rise again." And I picture a defeated army on the sand by the ocean, with fallen soldiers and horses lying on their sides. And I feel sad, and like I was set up. Here was this great image building... and God says, "No. Those are the former things. The past. Do not dwell on them. Forget that."

Instead God gives a new image - a new plant sprouting up (which suggests civilization) and then wilderness and wasteland and wild animals. Wild animals? What about tame ones? And wilderness? What about civilization? Why is the new thing in the wilderness and with wild animals? Why is the new thing wild? And not tame or organized. Why a wasteland? So we can see it better? Higher contrast? "Do you not perceive it?" suggests we should be able to, suggests it should be obvious.

But new things aren't always obvious or easily identifiable. New things, like new plants, start off small and hard to see. Yet we're supposed to perceive it? If we have eyes to see...

God's doing a new thing at Lisbon. I can perceive that. But I couldn't describe it. I couldn't define it or narrow it down. God's doing a new thing, making a way in the wilderness. I don't know where the way leads to, apart from to God. I don't think I'm even catching all of the markers of the way in the wilderness. But I know God's doing a new thing here in this place. Lord, give us the eyes to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment