Thursday, January 10, 2019

What Happens Next?


Epiphany of the Lord
January 6, 2019
Matthew 2:1-12

My 4 year old was a wise man in the children’s Christmas Eve service this year, so to prepare we read a book about wise men. I pulled out the one I had as a kid called “The Secret of the Star.” It ends, “Then silently, with singing hearts and wondrous news to bear, they journeyed to their own home lands to tell the people there about the Prince of Peace God sent to save people everywhere!” And it got me thinking, what happened after? Surely the wise men told people, like the shepherds did. We know “all were amazed at what the shepherds told them.” What about the wise men? Surely they told family, friends, and fellow travelers on the road. Surely their lives were different, too. After all, they went “home by another way.” They had met the living Christ and were changed by the encounter. Another children’s book about the wise men that came out last year, “Home by Another Way,” describes the star as the “tug they had been waiting for all their lives” and how they knew all their previous learning and studies didn’t matter anymore. They’d been changed after following the star. They’d been changed after meeting Jesus. But what happened after? The Bible doesn’t tell us. It continues on with Jesus’ story, not the wise men’s. Yet, surely life didn’t return to normal when they got back home, or did it? Was it like New Year’s resolutions that only last for a couple months? Or was it truly life-changing?
There’s an old saying that you can never go home again. The first example of this in print is a book by Thomas Wolfe called “You Can’t Go Home Again” that was published in 1940.[1] The main character is an author who wrote a successful novel about his hometown. When he returns to that town, he is not welcomed, because his family and friends felt exposed by the book. He then travels to New York, then Paris, then Berlin as Hitler is rising to power, and then back to America. You can’t go home again because while you’ve been away, home has changed, and you have changed. When the wise men returned home, what did they find? They’d been gone probably a couple years on this trip to follow the star wherever it led. Had they been presumed dead? Had their house been sold? Was someone else using their equipment for reading the stars? Did their pets remember them? Did their homes remember them? And were they remembered as eccentric old coots or a little more fondly? I know it’s all speculation. But my point is that the wise men changed on their journey to and from Bethlehem. And their homes in the East changed, too. What kind of new normal did they find? Did they go back to studying the stars? Or did they predate Paul in telling people about Jesus? What happened after they went home by another way?
It astonishes me that I have been home from Nicaragua for 12 years now. Many of you know that I served there with a mission agency for over a year before going to seminary and it was, in fact, from Nicaragua, that God called me to seminary. Me being here begins with God calling me to Nicaragua, following a different star. It was similar in some ways to the wise men, leaving home and country for God only knew how long. Packing up and saying goodbye. Arriving in a strange land where I’d never been before, met at the airport by people I’d never met before. Adjusting to a new life, new culture, new food. It was funny, my husband said something the other day that triggered a memory from Nicaragua that I had never told him before, and he’s heard just about everything. I even took him to Nicaragua 9 years ago to meet the people I served with and the family I lived with and to see the schools where I taught and the buses I rode. I lived, taught, and served in Nicaragua for 13 months, and then God sent me home. Home by another way, even. Home with rheumatoid arthritis. Home so sick that I barely remember that first month back in North Carolina. Home, and applying to seminary, something to which I had previously said No. Home, and not teaching. Home, and not working in a school. I was significantly changed when I returned home. And home was changed, too. My mom and stepdad had been empty-nesters for 4 months. My middle sister was married and moved out and my youngest sister had started her first semester of college. Some stores had closed and others had opened. A road had been widened. New houses had been built. Home wasn’t the same, either.
What happened next? I continued down that same trajectory that God had started me on. I applied to and visited seminaries. I worked from home for the mission agency as an education consultant on a couple USAID projects. I started dating my husband.  I learned how to live with a chronic disease and began the process of getting it under control. While we’re not told the ‘what happens next’ for the wise men, that’s just as important as following the star itself. After the aha moment, after the life-changing event, after meeting Jesus, do you treat it as a new year’s resolution, 80% of which will fail by the second week of February,[2] or does life truly change? With some of these events, like a chronic disease, life has no choice but to change. I donated over half my shoes because it hurt too much to wear them. I bought my first SUV, because on bad days I couldn’t get up out of a low riding car. In seminary, I didn’t carry a bookbag or a shoulder bag. No, I wheeled around an office laptop carry-on suitcase and I knew where all the elevators were. I didn’t park in the yellow parking lot most of my classmates used, because it was a half mile walk from there. I parked in the other yellow lot with the business and law students because from there I could ride the shuttle to a stop much closer to the Divinity School. Life changed drastically, because there was no choice about it.
Some people meet Jesus and choose for it not to change their lives. They don’t want to change. They’d rather stay in the darkness. They don’t want to take the risk of being asked to give up home and hearth. Some of us have no choice but to change. Jesus touches you, sets his hand on you, appears to you and it becomes like the pearl of great price. Jesus says, “The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.”[3] What will you do when you find a pearl of great value? What have you done in the past?
There was a saying in seminary about letting the Bible read you, rather than you reading the Bible. You can read about the wise men following the star and think, hey, cool story. Wonder if it really happened. That doesn’t tell me anything about how I should live today. Or, you can listen to this story in sacred text about learned men up and leaving their homes to follow a star that led them to Jesus, and then they went home by another way and the narrative of the story follows Jesus. The books may have their picture on the cover, the song title may be their name, “We Three Kings of Orient Are,” but this is all really about Jesus. It’s not about us. What happens next, what we choose to do after meeting Jesus is important. Because remember, we are part of God’s story. It’s not that God is part of your story. Your story does not exist apart from God. God knit you together in your mother’s womb, knew all the days of your life when none of them existed, written in God’s book.[4] Your story is part of God’s story. If there were to be a second book of Acts of the Apostles, what would your role be? Would you be in the background like Matthias, a follower holy enough to be chosen to replace Judas among the twelve disciples yet about whom nothing else is known? Would you be like Barnabas who sold his field and gave all the money to the disciples? Or would you be like Ananias and Sapphira who sold a piece of property and kept back a majority of the proceeds for themselves, only giving part of it to God’s work? Can you be full of grace and power, like Stephen, the first martyr? Can you go where God sends you? Can you share God’s love with the people God entrusts to you to love?
These last few questions, by the way, were how I got to Nicaragua. It was a bible study on Acts, where we were encouraged for each section to write what we read and what God said. God kept asking me these questions: Can you go? Can you do this? Can you be like Stephen? And Paul? And Barnabas? And I finally got the hint and said ok, God and began the process of discerning the particulars of what God was calling me to do. The story of the wise men and the star often gets flattened to sound like it wasn’t much of a discernment process. Yet in the books, they consult with each other. They verify with each other that they are reading this new star correctly. And they set off on a journey to see what they find, not knowing where they’re going, just knowing they can’t imagine not going. It’s the opportunity of a lifetime that they are not going to pass up. It’s the chance to be written into God’s story. You, we, are already part of God’s story. Lisbon is part of God’s story. What happens next? Is this the pearl of great price that is worth everything? Are you willing to risk everything? Or are you going to walk on by? And if you do decide it’s worth everything, what happens after that? You’ve inherited the kingdom of God, now you have to live it. I’m still talking about Nicaragua 12 years later. I don’t think about it as often as I used to, but I still have artwork up in my house. I still have a picture on my wall of my husband and me with my Nicaraguan family. I still pray for them and follow the news out of there. And amazingly, I don’t think anyone’s gotten tired of me talking about it. Because this is part of my story, which is part of God’s story. We don’t ever get tired of talking about or telling God’s story. And I’m sure the wise men didn’t, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment