Thursday, December 13, 2018

Remembering Mr. Al


Service of Death & Resurrection
Al “Pop” Fredericksen
December 11, 2018, 11 a.m.
Psalm 91; Matthew 25:31-40

            Being on the ball, like he usually was, Mr. Al even planned many of the details of this service today. He picked the hymns we’re singing. It was important to him to have military funeral honors. And the last time I saw him, he asked me to officiate at the service. It was the first time I’ve been asked by the person and not by their family. But that’s how Mr. Al was. He took care of what God entrusted to his care. He took care of Ms. Shirley and his family. He took care of our church, serving this past year as our head trustee. And he always had a minute to spare to help anyone who needed help. I heard stories about Mr. Al helping out the customers on his mail route and the friends he bowled with and he LOVED helping at the Howard County Fair every August. You wouldn’t see him for two weeks, but you knew where he was. He kept moving, kept busy, not to keep busy; he kept moving because he kept serving, just as Jesus calls us to do.
            Matthew 25 is what came to mind when thinking about scripture for Mr. Al. First is the parable about the servants who have been entrusted with talents, or bags of gold, to take care of while their master is away. Two of the servants go to work and double the master’s money. When the master returns he tells them, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and enter into my rest.” Likewise, Mr. Al was faithful with what Jesus entrusted to him. He worried about everyone else until the day he died, asking me even when he was in the hospital about things at church and with the parsonage and trying to take care of things and wrap things up. He was faithful, and has now entered into his Lord’s rest.
            Jesus follows this parable of the servants and bags of gold with the passage we read this morning about the shepherd separating the sheep and the goats. “The King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ And the people look askance at him, because to them, it was no big deal to do these things, they’re not even completely sure they did them. The King replies, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” I would venture a guess that there is no one here this morning who was not helped in some way by Mr. Al. He would do anything for anyone.
            Now, if he was helping you out of a scrape of your own making, he would tease you or otherwise make sure you knew you needed to accept responsibility for it. I had a problem with the garbage disposal at the parsonage last summer that I tried to fix on my own and ended up calling him about. He came out, and with my mom’s help, fished out a corn-on-the-cob holder that had gotten stuck in there, that I hadn’t found on my own. At the next Administrative Board meeting, during his trustees’ report, he had me tell the story of what happened. It felt a little bit like getting in trouble at Grandpa’s house and then having to tell my parents about it!
            Mr. Al loved Jesus, he loved his family, and he served everyone. And because of that attitude of love and service, people loved him. He looked for the good, and people appreciated that. He was personal, chatting up about anything and anyone, easy-going. Ms. Shirley told me that when he got upset with her, he’d go out and chop wood. And then Gary told me that when they had too much wood, they’d give it away! Even when upset, he figured out a way to use that energy for something good.
            But y’all don’t need me to tell you about Mr. Al. Most of you knew him better and longer than I did, and that’s what makes the past month so hard. It was sudden and unexpected for him to go from climbing ladders and blowing leaves off the driveway to going home to Jesus. We didn’t realize Jesus was going to call him home already. And yet with the psalmist we are confident that “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” We can also “say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’ Surely [the Lord] will save you… He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day… A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.” What a beautiful psalm of comfort and reassurance. It’s a reminder that God is there with you, too, no matter what’s going on. You are not alone. The Lord is with you.
            “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” The Lord did it for Mr. Al. And  he will do it for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment