Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Saying NO to God

3rd Sunday after Epiphany
January 28, 2018
Jonah 3:1-10; Mark 1:14-20

            A two year old’s favorite word: NO. It’s partly because they’ve learned to say it. It’s partly because they’re learning some individual agency and exploring what things they have a choice about. Sometimes they want the choice just to be able to say NO. Even as grown-ups, some of us still have a very easy time saying no. We’re clear on what we want, we’re clear on our abilities and our limits, we know what’s within our realm of being able to handle and what’s not. Others of us, though, are people pleasers. We don’t like to disappoint others. We don’t want to tell them NO. It makes for very spoiled kids when parents don’t want to tell their children NO. Yet we do it in other relationships as well. There seems to be a cultural trend that we don’t like to tell people NO. Of course, it’s related to the fact that we have forgotten how to be on the receiving end of the word. When we are told NO, we often try to wheedle or complain or throw a fit. We’ve forgotten how to graciously respond when we are told NO. We don’t like being told NO, and so we try not to have to tell others NO, either.
This morning’s Old Testament story comes from the third out of the four chapters that make up the book of Jonah. Unlike the other prophet books in the bible, which tell you what the prophet says and what God says through the prophet, the book of Jonah is about the adventures of the prophet. And Jonah has adventures because he tells God NO. He listens to what God has to say, he’s got that connection, but then he tells God NO. You may have noticed that the first verse we read said, “The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time.” That’s because the first time was back in chapter 1, verse 1, “The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai.” God sent the same word to Jonah, twice. The same message, twice. God has to repeat himself, and I can’t think of a single other place in the Bible where that happens.
You see, what usually happens, both with us and in the Bible, is people making excuses to say NO. Moses tells God that he’s not a good public speaker. So, God sends Moses’ brother, Aaron, to help him. Jeremiah says he’s too young. People aren’t going to listen to him because he’s not old enough. God says, in effect, “You’re fine. Now go.”[1] I actually tried that excuse once, the first time I was asked to lead bible study in the pastor’s absence. When I was about 22 or so, I was part of Disciple bible study at the church I was attending. The pastor was going to miss a session and wanted me to lead it. I told him, I’m 40 years younger, or more, than just about everyone else in the study. Are you sure? And he said yes. He was one of the two pastors, by the way, who knew I was called to become a pastor myself. Except at that point in time I was in grad school for my master’s in education and I was burning out. So when two other people during that time suggested I go to seminary and become a minister, I told them no way. I’m burned out on school. I am never getting another degree. Well, you can’t ever tell God never. But God did give me a few years off before I went back to school for seminary.
We are good with excuses. I didn’t hear you. I didn’t understand what you wanted. That’s too hard! You do not understand what you are asking! I don’t want to go back to school. I’m too young. I’m too old. I’m not good enough. I don’t know the material. The excuses are endless. Jesus even gets them. In Luke 9[2], “Jesus and his disciples travel along the road, and someone says to him, ‘I will follow you wherever you go.’ Jesus replies, ‘Foxes have dens and the birds in the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head,’” and the guy disappears. “Then Jesus says to someone else, ‘Follow me.’ This guy replies, ‘Lord, first let me go and bury my father.’ Jesus says to him, ‘Let the dead bury their own dead. But you go and spread the news of God’s kingdom.’” Finally, “someone else says to Jesus, ‘I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say good-bye to my family.’” This guy puts a condition on it. Yet Jesus replies to him, “No one who puts a hand on the plow and looks back is fit for God’s kingdom.”
There are all kinds of excuses that we give God to not to do what he asks us to do. Yet there are only two real reasons behind these excuses: I don’t want to! And I’m afraid to![3] So often it falls into one of those two categories. Our will, what we want to do, does not line up with God’s. No, God, I don’t want to be kind to that person. No, God, my time is my own and I don’t want to spend it that way. No, God, my money is my own, I earned it, and I don’t want to spend it that way. No, God, I just really don’t want to do that. Sorry. Or, it’s fear. God, what if I mess up? What if I don’t know what to say and look stupid? Or sound stupid? No, God, I’m afraid to go to that part of the city. No, God, I’m afraid to trust you more. No, God, I’m afraid that doing this is going to change my life and I like my life just fine the way it is thank you very much. Or, maybe, no, God, I’m afraid that doing this is going to change my church, or change my community, or change my friends, or change me. We are afraid of failure and we are afraid of change, because change means loss and haven’t we had enough loss already? I met with our new Finance chair this week, who has big plans for our church, by the way, and he said something I asked if I could quote. He said, “There are one hundred reasons why not. You only need one why.” I’ve listed a dozen excuses and reasons why not. There are dozens more out there. The one why is because it’s Jesus who calls.
Let’s go back to Jonah for a moment. Jonah falls in the category of “I don’t wanna.” God tells him to go deliver a message to Ninevah. Ninevah is the modern day city of Mosul, Iraq. Back then, it was the capital of Assyria, the archenemy of Israel, who, in fact, is about to invade and conquer Israel. Jonah is being sent to enemy territory, to tell them that their great city will be destroyed in 40 days. Jonah doesn’t want to go. He doesn’t want to go because he knows God’s nature and he believes God will be merciful and not destroy Ninevah. Jonah doesn’t argue with God, though, he doesn’t give excuses, he just boards a ship headed in the exact opposite direction. He runs away. And it’s a little ironic because we just read last week in Psalm 139 that there is nowhere we can go where God is not. “If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”[4] Jonah deliberately disobeys and tries to flee from God, who is inescapable. Jonah goes through some misadventures involving a storm and a big fish. Through it, the Gentile crew on the ship repents and ends up worshiping God. And, after God makes the big fish throw Jonah up on dry land, God again tells him to go to Ninevah. Jonah reluctantly goes. He still doesn’t want to be there, but he stops trying to run away. He delivers his message to the Ninevites, and lo and behold, the Ninevites listen and repent. Jonah was successful! They listened to him! Yet Jonah isn’t happy about it, he has no compassion for the Ninevites, and in the last chapter he turns whiny and argues with God. God, I knew you were going to be merciful. Why’d you even bother to send me? Jonah is obedient in his actions, but there hasn’t really been any change of heart.
In direct contrast to Jonah, our Gospel reading was about Jesus calling the first disciples, Peter, Andrew, James, and John. These four guys easily could have given some excuses, like, where’s my food going to come from if I don’t fish? Who’s going to take care of my fishing boat while I’m gone? It’s not Zebedee and Sons’ Fishing Company without the sons. We can’t leave our dad behind. We’d feel guilty. He expects us to fish with him and the crew. Yet, in this case, a disciple is someone who does what God asks.[5] Peter, Andrew, James, and John all immediately leave their livelihoods and follow Jesus when he calls, “Come, follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people.”[6] I will make you fishers of men. You see, when God calls, he will also equip you and make sure you have what you need. In the last chapter of Jonah, Jonah sits out in the desert to watch what will happen to Ninevah. God causes a vine to grow up and provide some shade for him. Jonah gripes about that, too, because he’s still feeling argumentative. However, God will take care of you, especially when you’re following his will and not your own. He won’t leave you stranded. He won’t leave you hanging.
God wants you to say YES to him because he knows what might happen if you do. He knows how lives will be transformed, yes, including your own, and including so many others as well. You can say YES with a little trepidation, a little reluctance, a little uncertainty. That’s ok, and that’s normal. As the King of Ninevah asks, “Who knows what God will do?”[7] God so often acts in unexpected and surprising ways, and yet we know that those ways will also be merciful and loving. Who knows how far God’s love and mercy extend? Psalm 36 says, “Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice is like the deepest sea.”[8] You can offer all kinds of excuses. More than a hundred. You can be pretty creative with them, too, and trick yourself into thinking that they’re valid reasons. Or you can be honest and just tell God, I don’t want to, and I’m afraid to. There’s a reason the Bible says over and over, “Do not be afraid.” It’s easy to be afraid. It’s harder to say that I’m not going to act out of fear. I refuse to let fear be in charge of my life. It can be harder to say, I’m going to act out of love. I’m going to let the God of love be in charge of my life. It can be harder, and yet so relieving, to surrender and just say, Ok God, I’m going to go with it. I will do what you want, even though I have no idea how it’s going to happen or how it’s going to turn out. I’m going to trust you to take care of those details. You only need one why. Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment