Thursday, August 17, 2017

What Happens After?



10th Sunday after Pentecost
August 13, 2017
Matthew 14:22-33

First, I would encourage you to read the statement by my Bishop, LaTrelle Easterling:

Also, the one by Bishop Leonard Fairley, formerly my mom’s pastor and who baptized my youngest:

Words are not enough, yet they are the preacher’s tool. Here is my outline that was the basis for Sunday’s sermon:

What happens after the storm?
Beaten, battered, weathered, bruised, wind knocked out of you, after we come face to face with hatred, evil, prejudice, and discrimination?
Tubthumping by British rock band Chumbawamba in 1997 – “I get knocked down, but I get up again”
2016 “Trolls” movie – Poppy sets off on a journey to rescue her friends – “Hey! I’m not giving up today. There’s nothing getting in my way. And if you knock knock me over, I will get back up again. If something goes a little wrong, well you can go ahead and bring it on. ‘Cause if you knock knock me over, I will get back up again.”
Most of us get back up again. Most of us get back in the saddle. Or back behind the wheel of a car. Or back wherever it was that knocked us down. A few don’t. Hold them in prayer. Most of us do get back up again. Changed, marked, like Jacob from last week. Like the 19 counter-protesters who were intentionally hit by a car.

What happened to Peter?
Matt 15 – asks Jesus to explain a parable – wants to learn, wants to be taught
Matt 16 – when Jesus asks disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” Disciples answer, “Some say Elijah, others John the Baptist, or one of the prophets, like Jeremiah.”
Jesus asks, “And you, who do you say that I am?” Peter answers, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.”
Jesus replies, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Peter had new insight, new malleability, new desire to learn, new name, and had grown closer to God

Richard Rohr, “Falling Upward”
My mom gave me this book after she read it with her Sunday school class. She said it was fantastic, and also that I had already moved into the second half of my life due to the disappointment and struggled related to my RA and leaving Nicaragua. That comment made me wonder why read it, if I’m already there. Lately, Bishop Easterling has been sharing quotes from it on Facebook, reminding me of him.
Two “halves” of our lives – not equally in half, 50%. There’s the first part, establishing your identity, who you are, creating boundaries for yourself, seeking security. These things are good and necessary. Some people never move beyond them.
The crossover to the second “half” of life is some sort of suffering, stumbling, storm, mistakes, challenges, loss of control, that move us out of our comfort zone and our usual way of operating. This time of uncertainty makes us see ourselves differently and in a more life-giving way. It’s about how we grow and learn from our failings. It’s about growing spiritually more through struggle and mistakes than we do by doing everything right.

Children’s book “Rosie Revere, Engineer” by Andrea Beaty
            Rosie likes to tinker and make gizmos, but she got laughed at, so she stops. Her great-great aunt Rosie (the Riveter) encourages her to try again, so she does. She makes a flying machine that flies for a few seconds and then crashes. Aunt Rosie calls it “the perfect first try.” Now that she had failed, she could keep going! 


Here’s what I think.
My understanding is that the mismatch between the congregation and a previous pastor was the biggest drama and tension this church has had. That is great! Because now we can get down to work. By struggling through that, and arguing with God (and probably with each other) during that difficult time, you’ve come to see yourselves differently. And that’s ok. Remember, we grow more spiritually through struggle than we do by doing everything right. So, as far as I’m concerned, this is a GREAT time to be at Lisbon! We are falling upward. We are experimenting, trying things out, which may or may not work, and that’s ok. The point is, it has made us more like Peter, in turn more like Jesus, as we seek to learn more, as we want to learn and grow closer to God.

That’s the church level. The reason we do this isn’t for our own sake. The reason we do this hard work is for the sake of the world. As was made evident again by yesterday’s events in Charlottesville, we live in a hurting world that is in desperate need of hope and love and truth. That’s why we’re here. Our world is hurting. God’s world is hurting and needs to hear words of hope and love and truth. So, pray. Pray for all in Charlottesville. Pray for those who have been marked. Stand in solidarity with those who live in fear. Actively call out evil and racism. Find the tools in front of us, like hand sanitizer, that we can use to silence messages of hate.

Let us pray…

No comments:

Post a Comment