Thursday, March 17, 2016

Fasting for Reconciliation: Feeling Grinchy

Piney Grove UMC & St. Matthew Lutheran Church
Lenten Services
March 16, 2016
Genesis 33:1-11; Acts 11:1-12; Matthew 5:21-26

            Tonight’s theme is reconciliation, and just a couple Sundays ago we heard that word also in our lectionary readings.  Our Epistle lesson two Sundays ago included 2 Corinthians 5:18, where we read “God… reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.”  I commented on how the Good News translation of the Bible gave us a definition for reconciliation, because it worded that verse to say, “God… through Christ changed us from enemies into his friends and gave us the task of making others his friends also.”  So, reconciliation is changing from enemies into friends, and tonight we’re talking about fasting for reconciliation, so this is giving something up in order to become friends.  Have you ever done that?  It may be the friend you just don’t talk politics with, or they’re an avid Yankees fan, and so you talk about baseball in general and teams outside the American League East.  I have a good friend who doesn’t tolerate gluten and so we make sure to find restaurants that have a gluten-free menu when we go out to eat together.  I have another friend who’s vegan, and so she picks the restaurant, usually one I’ve never heard of, and, you know, I can usually find something to eat there, too.  It’s not a big deal to me, and it is to them.  I can go without meat or wheat gluten or chemicals in my food, and I won’t go hungry.  I can bite my tongue in a conversation and it’s not the end of the world. 
            In 1 Corinthians 9, Paul writes, “I am a free man, nobody's slave; but I make myself everybody's slave in order to win as many people as possible. While working with the Jews, I live like a Jew… In the same way, when working with Gentiles, I live like a Gentile… Among the weak in faith I become weak like one of them, in order to win them. So I become all things to all people, that I may save some of them by whatever means are possible.”[1]  For whatever reason, I’ve been reflecting more the past couple weeks on the mission work that I’ve done, and part of my philosophy is to adapt as much as reasonably possible to the host culture, and that’s all the more Paul is talking about here.  I mentioned last time my service in Nicaragua.  While I lived there, I lived with a host family.  I ate my main meal in the middle of the day.  I took quiet afternoons whenever possible, although didn’t often take a siesta.  I wore capris pants and sandals the most often and shorts and sneakers much less often because I wanted to blend in a little more.  While I loved getting a ride from someone who had a car, I often walked or took the bus or a taxi to get places.  And it made a difference to the locals that I lived as one of them, even though I was an American.  It made a difference in my witness.  It made a difference in their knowledge of just how committed I was to serving among them.  It made a difference that I wasn’t committed to an American lifestyle even while living in another country.
            What I think we worry about here is losing ourselves.  Is being a meat-eater a core part of my identity?  For my husband, yes.  For me, it’s small potatoes.  Did my style of dress really change that much in Nicaragua?  Not especially, because it was still me doing the shopping.  I just bought more of certain styles and less of others.  Does my identity revolve around when I eat my main meal of the day?  Not really.  My identity revolves around and is centered in being a beloved child of God.  That’s the most important part, and that part doesn’t change, no matter where I am serving.  In Maryland, I wear more sweaters and eat more fresh seafood than I did in North Carolina.  I also get to go to more Major League Baseball games.  And I LOVE the predominance of the color purple!  It’s my favorite color, and I didn’t even think twice when I bought a pair of purple pants a few months after moving here.  It didn’t occur to me until much later why the store even carried them in the first place.  Food, clothing, daily routine, these are all external factors that play a minor part in who you are, yet can play a major role in relationships. 
            What plays a factor into this choice to downplay your own personal preferences is humility, and we certainly see that in how Jacob approaches his brother, Esau, after many years of estrangement.  If you remember, Jacob and Esau are twins born to Isaac and Rebecca, and although Esau is the oldest, Jacob is the one God chooses to be part of Jesus’ lineage.  And their falling out happened when Jacob talked Esau into selling his birthright for a bowl of chili and then later tricked their father into giving Esau’s blessing to Jacob.  Isaac thought he was blessing his firstborn, yet he was mostly blind and Jacob, with his mother’s help, had covered himself in furs to pretend to be his brother, who was much hairier than him.  That story ends with Esau begging his father to bless him, also.  So, Esau has lots of good reasons to be mad at his brother and Jacob knows it.  After stealing his brother’s blessing, Jacob ran away and lived with his Uncle Laban for a time.  However, then he and his uncle play a game of tricking each other, involving Laban’s daughters, Leah and Rachel, and now Jacob needs to leave his Uncle Laban’s farm.  So, he sets out to return towards home, where he knows Esau is.  In the chapter before the passage we read tonight, Jacob sends presents and messengers on ahead to his brother, and the night before is when Jacob wrestles with an angel all night long, until the angel finally “cheats” and does something funky to Jacob’s hip.  Then we have the day of, and Jacob, who is now limping and worried about his messengers’ reports of Esau, is steeling himself to meet his brother.  He arranges his family just so, with this order of children and maids and wives.  And he went first, in front of them, “bowing himself to the ground seven times until he approached his brother.”[2] 
            You see, reconciliation, making friends out of enemies, isn’t something that just happens.  It takes work, it takes prayer, it takes thoughtfulness, it takes planning in order to maximize its chances of success.  It takes fasting, giving something up, whether it’s your pride, like in Jacob’s case, or toning down your hatred of the Yankees in order to get along with a Yankees’ fan.  In Peter’s case, as we read in Acts, it meant being willing to lay aside food laws, that God had put into place in the Old Testament, and as a good Jew, Peter had always followed.  “It was unlawful [even] for a Jew to associate with or to visit a Gentile,”[3] yet now God is saying “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”[4]  This sounds a little bit like last Sunday, when we read in Isaiah God saying, “Look, I am about to do a new thing!”[5]  Reconciliation is God doing a new thing.  One of the things we always have to remember is that only God can change hearts.  If there’s animosity like Jacob and Esau’s, if there are hard hearts involved, if there are deeply, deeply hurt feelings involved, then only God can heal the divide.  Perhaps this may be a good lesson for the politics in our country today.  I can’t soften your heart.  My 18 month old baby might be able to, but I can’t make anyone’s heart grow three sizes like the Grinch.  

That’s God’s work.  And that’s why we fast and pray and we turn it over to God and let him do his work.  We step out of the way, refraining from putting stumbling blocks in the way of others.  Each of us can get in our own way and put enough stumbling blocks in our own path.  We don’t need help from anyone to do that. 
            And that’s why, in this snippet from the Sermon on the Mount that we read, Jesus encourages us to make friends with each other, to not stay angry with each other.  Anger may be a cute little red guy in the movie “Inside Out,” but when he takes control for too long, it gets harder to let him go.  I’ve joked recently that I need to make a playlist, or a mix tape (I’m old enough that I’ve made as many mix tapes as I have playlists), and I need to include songs like “Let It Go” and Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off.”  Those are both songs about fasting for reconciliation, believe it or not.  Shake it off, let it go, those are other ways of saying fast, refrain from dwelling on those things, don’t let yourself get stuck down in the negativity or the criticism or the anger, or whatever it is that’s bothering you.  Instead, be reconciled to yourself, be reconciled to your friend, be reconciled to God.  Don’t be at war with yourself, or your neighbor, or God.  Change from enemies into friends, find some peace, receive others with open arms, just as Esau greeted Jacob, just as the father welcomed home the prodigal son in our Gospel lesson from Sunday.  Let it go, fast from the anger, take a break from it, stop dwelling on it, and turn back to God, turn back to the way that leads to life.
            One of my best friends is a Yankees fan, and in case you haven’t gathered, I am not.  They are my least favorite team in all of baseball.  But you know, we went to a Yankees’ game together a few years ago, and we both enjoyed it.  We both love baseball, it was each of our first and only time at Yankee Stadium.  I liked the game because the Yankees were losing for the first seven innings.  My friend liked the game because the Yankees came from behind and won the game.  It’s fasting to stay friends.  Fasting for reconciliation.  Giving something up, in order to turn from enemies into friends, or to stay friends and not become enemies.  May God give each of us the grace to shake off whatever we need to shake off, to turn to him when our hearts are hard, and to welcome with open arms those with whom we’ve argued.  Thanks be to God.  Amen.



[1] 1 Corinthians 9:19-22
[2] Genesis 33:3
[3] Acts 10:28
[4] Acts 11:9
[5] Isaiah 43:19

No comments:

Post a Comment