Tuesday, January 12, 2016

It's Not Over Yet

Baptism of the Lord Sunday
January 10, 2016
Luke 3:15-22; Isaiah 43:1-7

            These first three Sundays in January continue the story begun at Christmas of the incarnation, that is, God becoming human in Jesus Christ.  Jesus was both fully God and fully man.  At Christmas it was obvious that he was a normal human being like you and me, and so the lectionary writers then wanted to make sure we remembered that he was also still God through a series of revelations, or epiphanies.  Last Sunday was Epiphany Sunday, when the magi came, and it’s also called God’s revelation to the Gentiles.  Gentiles, being everyone who isn’t Jewish, including me and you, unless you have some Jewish ancestry, and including those magi.  They came from the East.  They were outsiders.  But God led them through the star to come worship Jesus.  There’s no way a random group of people would travel a long ways to a foreign land to worship a baby if there wasn’t something special about that baby.  Then, today, with the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, it begins innocently enough, since John the Baptist is baptizing everyone else, too, except that after Jesus’ baptism, God speaks, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”[1]  This is the revelation of Jesus as God’s Son.  Then, next Sunday we’ll read about Jesus’ first miracle at the wedding in Cana where he turns water into wine and we’re told that “[Jesus] revealed his glory, and his disciples believed in him.”[2]  So, we’re in week two of three revelations, three epiphanies, three “aha!” moments.  Last week we talked about the revelation of light, that our light has come.  Today is about baptism. 
And yet our baptism reading is paired with this beautiful passage from Isaiah.  “But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.”[3]  And that’s exactly what happens in baptism, God claims us as his own, God calls us by name, just as he did with his own son, Jesus, “You are my beloved Son.” 
            Now, I imagine there are a lot of things you might be called, a lot of names you’ve been called over the years, some good, some bad, some deserved, some not.  You may have even told the joke to call me any name you want, just don’t call me… late for dinner.  All of those names, all of the experiences those names represent, they are all part of who you are.  Even the times when you’ve been going through the floods and the fire, good times and bad, all these experiences form you and are part of who you are, for better or worse.  The thing about them is, though, is that they are also part of your redemption story.  How the water came up to your neck, but didn’t drown you, or perhaps you did feel drowned, but you did not die, those times are all part of the story of how God is at work in your life, redeeming your life.  “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; when through the rivers, they won’t sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you won’t be scorched and flame won’t burn you.”[4]  God has kept you safe through all these disasters, and will continue to do so all the days of your life. 
            The book of Isaiah was written in part during exile and part as God’s people returned from exile.  However, it was not an easy return from exile.  They didn’t just hop on a plane or a bus and ride for a while and then they were home.  No, that deliverance happened while “crossing a desert with few oases, fording rivers where there were no bridges, and braving wildfires where there were no fire departments to extinguish them. Deliverance then and there—the actual return from Babylon to Judea—concretely meant those returning home would very likely face all these things.  These were serious obstacles. And the word of the Lord is ‘This is part of my redemption, and I am with you.’ They were thus at once obstacles and pathways of redemption.”[5]  The process of salvation and redemption is not easy and it is not smooth.  It means the spouse breaking away from the abusive partner, and then having to face them in court.  It means the time it takes to figure out how to best treat a disease and the time it takes before that treatment is really effective.  It means the highs and the lows, the long walks alone, crying, and the long talks with good friends, also crying, as you move on from a traumatic experience.  It takes time, it takes energy, it takes courage, because it is not a smooth path and the process of deliverance, the process of redemption often includes ordeals. 
            I pray that by this time you are thinking of your own story, but in case you need an example to help spark your train of thought, or if I just need to talk for a few minutes while you think through your own example and tune me out, I’ll give a minor example.  My engagement ring that I wear is almost 100 years old.  It’s a diamond solitaire that my great-grandfather gave to my great-grandmother some time in the 1920s after they were married.  All that my Grandma would ever say about her father is that “he was not a nice man.”  In today’s terms, he was an abuser.  That’s the origin of my ring.  Then, when my parents got engaged it was given to my mom to be her engagement ring.  My mom wore the ring for almost 20 years, until my parents divorced, then it went and sat in a jewelry box again.  When my husband and I started talking about getting married, I asked my mom for the ring.  I see it as redemption to wear it during a healthy marriage, and yet the process of redemption isn’t over yet, as we have not yet finished living into our marriage vows of “til death shall we part.”  That’s how a redemption story works.  It’s got bad parts.  It’s got good parts.  It’s got a part that is not finished yet.  But these parts are all part of who you are.  These experiences have all helped form you and shape you and are part of your redemption story. 
            Baptism, however, is the primary experience that names you.  Who you are is part your experiences and your salvation story, and who you are is also part of God’s family, because of your baptism.  God calls you his own, God calls you by name, and that name does not ever change, even if other names in your life have only been for a time.  I used to be Ms. Willet when I was a school teacher.  But this name, God’s beloved child, doesn’t change, no matter what.  Because, “in the waters of baptism, God seals God’s love for us, no matter what we might have done and what might happen.”[6]  When you were baptized, the pastor made the sign of the cross on your forehead, marking you as Christ’s own, as belonging to God, forever. 
            Probably the funniest thing at my college graduation was at the end of the ceremony when the President of the college, who was a priest, because I went to a Jesuit university, got up, held his hands out, and said, “I now pronounce you sons and daughters of Saint Louis University FOREVER!”  Whether God sounds like that in your head, with a big, booming voice, or sounds more like this voice from heaven at Jesus’ baptism that says, “You are my child, whom I dearly love; in you I find happiness,”[7] the message is the same.  Because of our baptism, we belong to God. 
Now, if you haven’t been baptized, or aren’t unsure, I’d love to meet you for coffee or something and talk about, if God’s nudging you in that direction.  Or, if you aren’t officially a member of our church and would like to join us, we’ve already got two families who are interested in becoming members, and we’d love to have you join as well.  Just let me know.  Or if you’ve been coming so long you’re not sure, just let me know and we’ll find out for you.  Regardless of where you are in the process, together as a congregation we’re going to reaffirm our baptismal covenant, if you would please turn to page 50 in your hymnal.



[1] Luke 3:22
[2] John 2:11
[3] Isaiah 43:1
[4] Isaiah 43:2
[6] Feasting on the Word, Year C, Vol. 1, p. 222
[7] Luke 3:22, CEB

No comments:

Post a Comment