Friday, August 2, 2013

31 Days in the Big Chair

While the senior pastor was on sabbatical for the month of July, I was left in charge.  Overall, my coffee consumption increased, my amount of sleep decreased (which was mostly a result of being on prednisone for 12 days), and we had no church members in the hospital for 14 out of the 31 days.  It was busy for what is usually the slowest month at Orange.  Here's how the month broke down:

1 - The first email I read was about a broken door, so the first phone call I made was to the Trustees' chair.  Planned hospital visit, but late to the baby-sitter to pick up Isabel.

2 - The first email I read led to an unplanned hospital visit.

3 - First time leading staff meeting - we met in the sanctuary.

4 - Served at IFC (a homeless shelter).

5 - Discovered I had poison ivy; first doctor's visit.

6 - Discovered my poison ivy was infected; second doctor's visit.

7 - Preached on skin conditions.  Presided at the table for the first time by myself at Orange.

8 - Planned hospital visits.

9 - Made my 3rd trip to the doctor for my poison ivy, because it wasn't improving.

10 - Led a small but productive staff meeting as it ended by cleaning out part of the church office.

11 - Had lunch with a church member.  Last premarital counseling session with the couple at whose wedding I officiated.

12 - Quiet :)

13 - Quiet :)

14 - New member joined!  Sent middle schoolers to KY.

15 - Another broken door.

16 - Dinner with church members at Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe.  Attended a wonderful and inspiring Finance Committee meeting!

17 - Church email server was down for a couple hours.

18 - Lunch with a church member.

19 - Lunch with a church member.

20 - Hospital visit.  Officiated at a wedding for the first time! 

21 - Hosted the District Superintendent.  Hospital visit.

22 - Lunch with my accountability group.

23 - ACS training (the software we use for our membership database).

24 - Last premarital counseling session with a couple getting married tomorrow!  (I'm not officiating.)  Attended the youth volunteers' meeting.

25 - Missed a planned hospital visit because Isabel had her first fever (101 degrees).

26 - Quiet, sermonized.

27 - Quiet, sermonized.

28 - Preached.

29 - Made a home visit.

30 - Hospital visits.

31 - Led last staff meeting.  First superhero movie night.  Firetrucks showed up because ASG Security set off the alarm when it wasn't in test mode. 

No comments:

Post a Comment