Thursday, July 12, 2012

Joel 2:21-27


[The response to the Word that I wrote last night at Christian Expressions.]

I was first aware of this passage because of my friend, Pamela.  She didn't become a Christian until she was in college and so it holds special meaning for her that God will repay her for the years the locusts have eaten, the years when she didn't know God.  The same is not true for me.  I grew up in the church, baptized at 6 weeks, confirmed at 14 years old, always active, always finding ways to be active even when there wasn't a youth group or a young adults group.  I don't know if I have years that the locusts have eaten.  I don't know if I get any repayment for anything lost.  "To whom much is given, much is demanded" (Luke 12:48).  I've never liked that line, either.  Except I think Jesus said it.  I don't like being the one with great responsibility.  Except, sometimes I do.  Sometimes I like being in charge.  I've had to learn to let go when I'm not in charge, and resist taking over, but letting others lead and be responsible.  It was a slightly rough transition last year, from being in charge of everything at my previous church to being the associate pastor here.  I'm not in charge, and yet I am.  The buck stops with me, unless I defer it to the senior pastor.  It's interesting.

Verses 26 & 27 both end with the same phrase - "and my people shall never again be put to shame."  That means God's people have been put to shame.  That even though God is good all the time and watches over us without slumbering or sleeping and we trust him to take care of us, still, we are sometimes put to shame.  But those times, God will redeem and repay us.  And will repay us by giving us plenty to eat so that we will be satisfied and praise God's name.  We shall know that the Lord is our God and there is no other.  We shall never again be put to shame.  But... does that mean we're in heaven?  Does that mean we've reached Christian perfection or sanctification?  How does it happen that we'll never again be put to shame?  Never?  Really?  I guess only God can say "never," the rest of us certainly can't.  "My people shall never again be put to shame."  When?  It feels like it's always happening, even today, on a prayer request that I got wrong from Sunday and then the new church secretary caught the flak from it, when it was my fault.  It feels like I'm often being put to shame, and deservedly so.  Or maybe that's just the pregnancy hormones.  Either way, I look forward to no longer being put to shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment