Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Little Something Different

Things have been going better at the church since September. Attendance has slightly increased. The youth became active again. Those of us who met at the last women's meeting all had the same realization: Monday night bible study (for all) at the church wasn't working, we ought to start having bible study in people's homes. So I pulled out my calendar and church directory to ask whose house first and when we were going to start. We started last Monday; one of my lay speakers led the study since I couldn't go. Praise God for lay leadership!

This past Sunday we celebrated Christ the King Sunday (in accordance with the Revised Common Lectionary) and Thanksgiving, with a big meal after the service. The service was my longest one ever, two hours. When that was pointed out to me, I pointed out that they'd still be going with the previous pastor - the services he led averaged two and a half hours!

Part of why the service went long was because I began my sermon a little differently. I asked how it was with their soul and how their spiritual life was. I asked if they felt ready and excited to celebrate the kingship of Christ or if they felt a little down. Then I asked the congregation to take 5 minutes and break up in pairs and share with each other how it was with their soul, how they were really doing, with no lies or glossing over. I reminded them that we are a family (somos familia), that we are trustworthy (somos de confianza), and that we don't gossip about each other (no contamos chismes). Most folks paired up although there were a couple groups of three. I have no idea how long we shared with each other. There is no clock in the sanctuary and I don't wear a watch. I have no idea if all groups stayed on topic; I didn't check up on the groups. But after my group was mostly done, I called time and asked folks to move back to their seats. And then I asked if folks now felt more ready to celebrate Christ the King and Thanksgiving. The answer: YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment