Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Most Pleasant Surprise: the Youth

Before seminary, I was an elementary school teacher. I love kids and I love being around them! Also, I've always claimed to like the little kids better than the big kids and that all middle school and high school teachers are crazy to teach that age group. Now, in addition to being pastor, bible study leader, counselor, worship planner, cleaner, etc., I find myself in charge of the church youth group.

Leading a youth group is doubly weird for me because I was in a youth group for only two years of the whole time I was a youth. My family moved a lot in those years and only one of the three churches we attended had an active youth group. In a nutshell, I was dreading becoming the Youth Minister.

But, God is full of surprises and the youth at Unidos por Cristo are one of them! There are eight youth who come, rising sixth through twelfth graders. In four meetings, there has not been even a hint of misbehavior. They do what I ask them to do. They participate and choose our activities (some of which I suggest and some of which are their ideas). Youth group is the one activity at Unidos por Cristo that is primarily in English. And afterward, or after I talk with one of them on the phone, I feel rejuvenated! I am excited! It's as if I were teaching third graders, or playing with four year old's. I enjoy the youth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment