Friday, July 16, 2010

Location, Location, Location!

Unidos por Cristo meets in the building that used to house Grimesland UMC. Grimesland UMC was closed in 1990; Unidos por Cristo was planted in 2000 and the building was fixed up to make it suitable again for a church. The building is in the center of town on the main street through town. What prime real estate!

On the east side of town is a NC Historical Marker for Major General Brian Grimes (1828-1880) of the Confederate Army. His family owned a plantation called Grimesland that roughly covered the same land that is today the town of Grimesland.

In case you hadn't guessed, there are no traffic lights in Grimesland. It is the smallest town in which I have ever spent significant amounts of time.

The other Sunday I walked my husband over to the tienda, La Potosina, to get a Coke before he headed home. La Potosina is also in the center of town, just a block away from the church. Lee was astonished as we walked past Town Hall and the Police Station on the way to the tienda. I told him, "Welcome to Mayberry!" (which is based on Mount Airy, NC).

I walked to the Post Office this past week, across the street from Town Hall, the Police Station, and La Potosina. (I think I get a lot of looks when I walk, because I'm the only pedestrian, but I'm not driving just to go a block down the street!) There were two spaces in the parking lot next to it, both labeled "10 minutes parking for Post Office." Ten minutes! When I go to the Post Office, I allot at least 20 minutes because I expect to stand in line for 10 minutes, minimum! Moreover, I walked to the Post Office about 12:10 p.m. Guess what? The Post Office is closed from 12-2 p.m. daily.

Downtown Grimesland: Town Hall, the Police Station, and La Potosina are on the right; the Post Office is on the left. The view is taken from just past Unidos por Cristo UMC.


View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. Hey Heather! Is La Potosina owned by a Bolivian, by any chance? :-) From, say, Potosi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't met any Bolivians here yet. La Potosina is owned by a pair of brothers from Mexico, who are church members, which is why I visit the tienda daily when I'm in town :) One brother is married and has a cute 4 y.o. daughter, so I often chat with the wife and daughter in the store. The wife now insists on not working Sunday mornings so she can come to church :D (The unmarried brother now runs the store Sunday mornings, because business is too good to close it during those hours.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen! I learned that the family is from San Luis Potosi in Mexico, so they are from a place called Potosi :)

    ReplyDelete